Everton plan to raise concerns with PGMO after being denied penalty vs. West Ham

onesport
3 Min Read
Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase. I only recommend products or services that I personally use and believe will add value to my readers. Your support is appreciated!

Everton plan to raise concerns with the refereeing body PGMO after a contentious handball decision during their defeat to West Ham United on Saturday.

During the 2-1 defeat at the London Stadium, the hand of West Ham midfielder Mateus Fernandes touched the ball while he was marking Thierno Barry in the penalty area. No penalty was given after a review by the video assistant referee Michael Salisbury.

The Premier League’s Match Centre account on X confirmed after the incident in the 84th minute: “The referee’s call of no penalty was checked and confirmed by VAR – with it deemed that Fernandes accidentally handled the ball while grappling with an opponent.”

The Merseyside club are now looking to raise the issue of consistency of decisions with the Professional Game Match Officials Limited, which is responsible for officiating in England, focusing on Saturday’s decision against West Ham.

PGMO declined to comment when contacted by The Athletic.

Everton manager David Moyes said after the game that he though a penalty should have been awarded.

“I think it would be (a penalty), it’s still pretty harsh on Fernandes, but he certainly punches the ball out, he puts his arms round (Barry),” he said.

“It’s not as if the ball comes onto his hand, his arm goes towards the ball. And I think today’s the first time I’ve heard the word accidental being used.

“I thought that word had been taken out of the vocabulary because I don’t think anybody’s used that word in the whole season really, on handball situations.”

Moyes also argued that his side deserved a penalty in the 2-1 Merseyside derby defeat against Liverpool earlier this month, when Curtis Jones was not penalised for a challenge on Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall.

In December, Everton were denied a penalty in a 1-0 loss against Arsenal, despite Arsenal defender William Saliba appearing to kick Barry in the box while attempting to clear the ball. Later that month, the Premier League’s Key Match Incidents Panel ruled that Everton should have been awarded a penalty for the incident, per BBC Sport.



Source link

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *